Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Maiden Voyage

In an effort to mark a new beginning for myself, I have decided to start a blog. Call me crazy for throwing one more iron in the fire, but social networking outlet just wasn't doing it for me anymore.There are certain times when one just needs to chill and decompress after a long day. This used to be my social networking time but, seeing as I needed a change, I no longer had a venue to waste away a small amount of time at the end of each day, So this will be my first attempt at filling this new-found void in my day-to-day routine. My musings, however interesting I may find them, will admittedly be random and pointless at times, but I hope that they will keep my followers (given that I will eventually have "followers") on their toes.

First, a little about myself. I am a southern college male in his early twenties. I am about as unexpected as they come seeing as I fit no social stereo type that is directed at my demographic. I consider myself "well-rounded" in that I have a passion for literature, fine food and clothing, and I can be a big sucker for a good movie. I also consider myself a novice purveyor of the arts, if you can call someone who enjoys seeing a good play every-now-and-then, and has a thriving passion for photography a purveyor...I enjoy cooking a good meal for friends, and on the annual occasion a fun weekend of deep sea fishing. I have a fetish for automobiles, especially those of a German pedigree from the 1980's and 90's ( My dream car is a 1980's Mercedes 560SL)  I am also fascinated by men's wrist watches, and one day hope to have a ridiculously obscene collection of watches. I love the state of Georgia, and enjoy traveling it at every chance I get; St. Simons Island is one of my favorite places in the world. After much internal arguing I have finally set my career path on small town government and politics. I love my hometown, and the idea of running it one day really gets me going. I enjoy the bachelor life, and eventually have the plan to settle down with the traditional wife and kids scenario, but right now I am enjoying my life to the fullest. Two of my best friends are a married couple who have blessed me with a very sweet and, much to my delight, mischievous 3 year old "Niece". It is truly a blessing watching her grow and learn and sometimes even let her curiosity get the best of her. As for my other friends, I have a vast array of cohorts ranging in age from 20 to 60, and however random they may be they are my friends and each on of them brings something special to my life. Growing up I couldn't have asked for a better family. I have a Father and Mother who have supported my every move, and who have loved each other unconditionally for over 30 years. I wouldn't be the man I am today if it wasn't for them. I also owe some credit to my Aunt and Sister who taught me everything my parents couldn't. My parents also brought me up in a strong christian home, and hold my values close to my heart, some may call it being prudish...I call it well mannered. But, that's enough about me...On to new enlightening subjects.

As I stated earlier I am a bit of a literature buff, and with that title comes the nasty little obsession of surrounding yourself with mounds of literary material. Every room in my house has a random stack of books or magazines ready to take that needy mind to far away places. My most recent periodical acquisition is Garden and Gun magazine; a fascinating magazine dealing with all things southern. The recent issue dealt with barbecue restaurants and travel. Among its slick and enticing pages I found an article about a little old lady near the Bayou Lafourche who's outlook on life is as insightful as her eccentric cooking methods. Alzina Troups is a spunky 84 year old grandmother who has a passion for cajun cuisine, and enjoy's sharing it with others. I Alzina's methods and stories very intriguing, but what caught my eye most was her theory on life
                                                        "Simple Life - Be Happy"
When my eyes grazed over this morsel of wisdom, I had to stop and ponder this ideal to myself. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me. The less complicated we, as humans, make things the less happy we are. Fancy cars and electronics only need constant pampering and fixing. The bigger the home, the more time it takes to clean, and the more complex we make our day to day life the harder it is to keep the routine going. So as embark on the rest of my life, I will keep Alzina's words close to heart, and maybe my complicated life will be a little less complicated.

- Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment