Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"...Give Me The Simple Life"

I found out Tuesday that I would once again be an honorary uncle. After a week of complications, two of my best friends found out that their new baby is alive and well, and will be here in January. What can I say, God is Good! Being the enthused uncle that I am, I just had to get the perspective of my 3 year old "Niece" on the recent developments. She told me that the baby (she calls Kelly) came back, and that it was in mommy's tummy wearing cowboy boots (I just love her wild imagination and creativity) Later in the evening as we sat down at a local restaurant she made it known that she wanted to say the blessing. As she progressed in her usual form, she threw the group for a loop when she prayed to God to take care of the baby. It was a moving experience to hear this little girl verbalize such a grown up idea. Being able to watch her grow up, and study her as she grows and begins to understand new things is truly a treat for me...watching her thought process, and hearing her communication abilities grow and develop  really makes me think about my own life and how I often take things for granted. In the fast paced world that we live in each day it is very easy to get caught up in the everyday tasks, and we forget to literally stop and smell the roses. I realize that this post seems very elementary and cliche, but how often do you take time to study a child that is growing up and really get to see how excited they are when they figure out something new, or how any little toy can totally make their day? I guess you could say that this post is an extension of the previous, but it seems that as my day progressed, Alzina Toups life secret of " Simple life; you happy" really began to stand out...I heard the anecdote earlier today of a man who came into quite a substantial amount of money very suddenly, but after 6 months of uncontrollable spending he still wasn't satisfied...he was left with homes full of expensive merchandise that required pampering and constant upkeep...and in the long run it just created a world full of stress, and no easy way out. So, I guess the moral of today's events is this:
          Sure, the luxury automobiles, technologically advanced homes, and grand toys (boats, planes, etc) are wonderful to have, but are they really worth the headache? For myself, in the long run, I think not...but that's for each person to decide on their own...but for me, right now, the only luxury I need is a big coloring book, a whole lot of crayons, and one bright eyed 3 year old who thinks I am the "Bomb-Shinizzle" and I will be as happy as a fat kid eating cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment