Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In The City

As I rested in the lounge chair that paralleled the infamous Peachtree Street I found myself enthralled with the magic of the city. The lights that shown from the theater across the way seemed to mimic the same twinkle in my own eye. Cars rushing by, hot coffee poured by the attentive waiter, the thought of a weekend of endless activity captivated me in the way Christmas does a child. I was indeed smitten with the fast paced life of Atlanta.

A quick three day exploration in the city had me begging for more. Fabulous restaurants, thought-provoking museums. entertaining shows, and enough shopping venues to never see the same thing twice. The thoughts rushed to my brain like blood to a bruise..."How neat would it be to reside in the city! To work and play the city life!" 

As I saw the last of the 20+ storied buildings fade in the sunset-filled distance I found a new emptiness within myself, needing to be filled with this city life again, but at that moment a playlist of soft R&B would have to do. 

But, as tides change, so did my longing. You see, In the same way that big cities entice, small towns comfort. I entered my home church Sunday morning, still needing to feel this air of the city around me, but as soon as I swung the door open, a warm feeling gave me a hug of comfort. "Happy Birthdays!" filled the room with excitement. Hugs and questions abounded me in a way that usually only happens in movies. I was loved. As that day, and the days following, progressed the feeling of encouragement and warmth embraced me in a most caring fashion.  The knowledge that the majority of the  people in this small town recognized my existence, and took the small time out of the day to say "Happy Birthday" is a feeling that no amount of shopping and twinkling lights can fill. Seeing my friends and family want to share in my celebration will never be topped by any off-broadway production. And most of all, feeling the love of family as you blow out your birthday candles while the sweetest 3 year old rests in your lap is a feeling that compares to nothing. 

So even though the idea of living a bustling city life can enthrall a person for a few days...the idea of having friends and family close by, and watching my "Niece" and her new, growing baby sibling (due in 7 months) grow up is a feeling that fills my whole life...and it is something no amount of Brooks Brothers polo shirts can ever become equal too. 

To everyone who helped make my 22nd birthday special, I thank you. I has been a truly memorable week. I love each and every one of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment